Sunday, January 17, 2010

Southern Hospitality - Opening Doors

My cousin brought a girl originally from New Hampshire down to a wedding at our church.  While chatting with my wife she said something to the effect of, "Why is everyone opening doors for me?  I can get my own door."  It seems that she missed the point.  Down here gentleman open doors for women.  Heck, we open doors and hold doors open for just about everybody.

I'm sure the South isn't the only place we open doors and hold doors open, but there are a lot of people that come down here that mention how nice everyone is and that somebody always hold doors open for others.

I just wish people had that kind of hospitality in the parking lot.  I hate getting a spot I've staked out for a while stolen out from under me, but that's a different post all together.

Do you hold doors for people?  Do you not like having people help you with doors?  Let us know in the comments.

Bookmark and Share

1 comments:

Jill Copeland Photography said...

I wonder if her reaction was more a manifestation of feminism. Everywhere I've ever lived (4states) people have opened the door for me. I think its a universal sign of respect and chivalry, more than a southern charm... And the only women I've ever heard complain were feminists... and not the good kind either, the kind that think they are interchangable with men... God made boys AND girls. And he told boys to open the door for girls. So you should. Period.
;-)