Monday, November 30, 2009

Southern Word of the Week - Hosepipe


Hosepipe
(n.) Hey son, go get me that hosepipe please.  These tomatoes look like they need some water.

A garden hose and a hosepipe are the same thing.  I thought everybody used the term hosepipe until my officemate brought it to my attention that it was a wierd term.  He saw it as a redundant statement, a hose which carries something through it, and a pipe that does the same thing.  I had never seen it that way, but I see it as saving a syllable. 

Plus I see a pipe as an inflexible tube that carries a great deal of substance through it and a hose as a flexible tube that carries a smaller amount through it but much more flexible.  So a hosepipe will send less substance through it than a pipe, but be more flexible like a hose.

Bookmark and Share

1 comments:

MamaHen said...

A garden hose? It's a hosepipe, always has been. :)