Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Southern Word of the Week - Chester Drawers

(n.) I think your dress socks are all in the chester drawers.
(n.) I bought my chester drawers from that place that Tina Gordon advertises for.  I think it's out of business.

Chester drawers are a chest of drawers.  I don't know why or how it got shortened and condensed here, but we all know what we're talking about.  Sometimes they come in a bedroom suite (pronounced suit), which I've been told that we pronounce incorrectly as well, but my limited research says that we may not be pronouncing it wrong.

Is there any furniture you've been told we pronounce incorrectly?  Is there any furniture unique to the South, or does everybody in the country have a chifforobe?  Let us know in the comments.

Bookmark and Share


Rachel said...

YES!!!! I always thought my dad had Chester Drawers when I was growing up! I thought it was my mistake. Glad to see it's a common one.

Audrey said...

Chase lounge is my favorite! Love you blog by the way!